Welcome to Indiana. As you travel the Hoosier State, here are some thing to know about the state.
- The legal drinking age for consuming an alcoholic beverage is 21.
- There is not retail sales of alcoholic beverages on Sunday, except in Indiana wineries and micro-breweries.
- Texting while driving is banned for all drivers.
- State law requires drivers approaching a stationary emergency vehicle displaying flashing lights, including towing and recovery vehicles, traveling in the same direction, to vacate the lane closest if safe and possible to do so, or reduce speed at least 10 mph below the speed limit.
- Seat belts are required for the driver and all passengers age 16 and older.
- Children ages 8 until 16 are required to be in either a seat belt or a child restraint.
- Children under age 8 must be properly restrained in a child restraint system.
- Passenger vehicles, buses carrying passengers, motortrucks carrying employees, school buses, and vehicles carrying flammable material must stop between 15 and 50 feet from the nearest railroad tracks before proceeding, unless directed to do otherwise by a traffic signal or traffic officer.
- Vehicles must stop upon meeting, from either direction, a school bus that is stopped for loading or unloading children and displays or has recently displayed a stop signal arm.
- Please follow the posted speed limit.
- Indiana retail tax is currently 7%
- Groceries are not taxed in Indiana
- Many local Indiana governmental entities Indiana have a local innkeeper’s tax and several have special food and beverage taxes.
Wonder what the weather is going to be like at your destination? Find out here at the Weather Channel.
You can find out more Indiana tourism information on the Indiana Office of Tourism Development website.
You can find out any road construct or road closures along your route through Indiana at the Indiana Department of Transportation website.